The idea of getting professional assistance from a freelancer for as little as $5 is certainly appealing, but this doesn’t necessarily mean Fiverr is the right outsourcing site for you.
It’s already difficult enough to find a freelancer who will deliver on their promises, so it helps if you know that the site you’re using can be trusted.
In this Fiverr review, I take a closer look at some of the key features of the site to help you decide whether this is where you should start your freelancer hiring process.
What is Fiverr
Fiverr has been around for over a decade and today, it’s one of the top freelance marketplaces for businesses of all sizes. Fiverr’s claim to fame was its $5 price limit, which has since fallen away. You can still find some freelancers who charge $5 for their services, but they are few and far between.
As with most other marketplaces, Fiverr freelancers list their services, also known as gigs, and businesses are able to purchase these services at a specific rate. Gig prices can range from $5 all the way up to $1,000+. It all depends on the freelancer’s skills and experience, as well as your project requirements.
To ensure freelancers deliver on time and that buyers are happy with the results, Fiverr withholds 20% of every project total. Once a buyer (or business) confirms the freelancer has delivered as promised, the remaining funds are released.
Here are some of the reasons why some business owners prefer to use Fiverr to hire freelancers:
- Seller levels. When browsing freelancers on Fiverr, you can easily rule out anyone who hasn’t performed well in the past by looking at their seller level. There are four seller levels, starting with new sellers and ending with top-rated sellers. Top-rated sellers have been active on the platform for over 6 months.
- Wide variety of creative skills. Fiverr is definitely a better option for businesses that are looking to hire creative freelancers. This is anything from WordPress design and logo creation to social media and voice-over experts.
- Simple cancellation and refund policy. If for any reason a freelancer becomes unresponsive or doesn’t deliver as promised, you can take advantage of the platform’s cancellation and refund policy.
- Detailed filtering options. It is really easy to find a freelancer who meets your specific requirements due to Fiverr’s detailed filtering options.
- Fast turnaround times. Another benefit of using Fiverr is that in most instances, freelancers will complete your project within 2 days, if not less. If you need results in a hurry, this outsourcing platform is a top choice.
- Excellent customer support. I have had to contact the platform’s customer support department before, and they were quick and able to assist me with my query. Based on Fiverr’s ratings in general though, their customer service is on-point.
- Mobile app. If you ever need to find a freelancer on the go, there is a Fiverr app that you can download.
Creating an account on Fiverr is free and you only need to pay when you hire a freelancer. The total cost per project will consist of the freelancer’s rate and Fiverr’s fee, which is a small percentage of the project cost.
Once you hire a freelancer, your funds for the project are held in escrow – funds are only released once you approve a freelancer’s work. You will only have 3 days to approve a freelancer’s work before the funds are released automatically.
Overall, Fiverr is a legit and trustworthy website that’s ideal for projects that require creative freelancers.
It is still possible to hire freelancers at the $5 rate, but you won’t find them very easily. It’s best to budget a little more if you want to hire a freelancer on this platform.
And if at any stage during your project you run into issues, there is a helpful customer service department waiting to assist you.
Fiverr is definitely one of my recommended outsourcing platforms.
If you would like to consider another platform, read through my Upwork review here.